junipergreen

pareidolia

science fiction, new weird, old weird, very weird - and everything else

not always save for work. never nice.

The Honourable Schoolboy
John le Carré
Progress: 52 %

Punishment - Scott J. Holliday

Punishment (Detective Barnes Series Book 1) - Scott J. Holliday

Thoroughly avarage.

Punishment is a run-of-the-mill thriller starring a run-of-the-mill detective trying to catch a run-of-the-mill serial killer. Of course the serial killer leaves clues behind, of course he wants to be caught, and of course the case is soon becoming personal for our detective.

The best thing about this book, apart from the really beautiful cover, was the sci-fi element: cops use machines to extract memories from victims of crime, including murder victims, in a hope to catch a glimpse of the perpetrators. The same memories are later used as punishment for perps - hence the title. The idea is not exactly new, but it's well executed. Cops like our main character Barnes have to live through the memories of murder victims again and again, and it does a number on them. And the author actually makes good use of the setting of Detroit.

It was entertaining enough, but I don't think I will read the sequel. Except that one has a nice cover, too. Well, maybe next summer, when I'm craving the cheap thrills again.

Machine City cover